Thursday, November 15, 2007

Instrumentation

“In Damascus there was a disciple named Ananias. The Lord called to him in a vision, “Ananias!”“Yes, Lord,” he answered.
The Lord told him, “Go to the house of Judas on Straight Street and ask for a man from Tarsus named Saul, for he is praying. In a vision he has seen a man named Ananias come and place his hands on him to restore his sight.”
“Lord,” Ananias answered, “I have heard many reports about this man and all the harm he has done to your saints in Jerusalem. And he has come here with authority from the chief priests to arrest all who call on your name.”
But the Lord said to Ananias, “Go! This man is my chosen instrument to carry my name before the Gentiles and their kings and before the people of Israel. I will show him how much he must suffer for my name.”
-Acts 9:10-16 (New International Version)
In this passage, there is a word that always jumps out at me…Instrument. I do hate to zero in on one word, from this passage…but it has made a big impact in my heart- instrument.
You see, a big part of my life is music. My dad is a band teacher, and I grew up with music. I play trumpet and guitar…pretty well. Acctually, when I have spare time, rather than watch TV, I am almost always playing my guitar.
So that is why this “INSTRUMENT” word always stick out to me when I read this passage.

In so many ways we are God’s “chosen instruments.” He picked us out, then he bought us, and he constantly takes care of us, and I believe…(with all humility) he takes a certain delight in us.
An instrument is a tool that you use for a purpose. Different instruments serve different purposes, different functions. There are many types…many roles.
Now let me tell you- there are good instruments and bad instruments. Some are just total plastic, sears instruments- and no matter how well you can play they never sound good…they never play in tune.
You see, when we are out of tune with God, we find that God can’t express Himself through us any longer- He can’t SING THROUGH OUR LIVES anymore.


Be in tune with God's heart by spending time with Him- through prayer and reading the Bible.
And then,
May HIS beauty, HIS imagination, HIS power, HIS creativity, and HIS love resonate through your life.

No comments: